Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Register Frustration

Nestled in my feeds today, I found a quick little rant in the middle of a review of Wolfram's Alpha on The Register:
"Alpha is really good at telling you all sorts of information about mathematical expressions, showing you publicly available data about populations and geography, and comparing stock quotes. However, I am a software engineer by trade, and the information I need is about Python module documentation, Apache configuration, and why some fucking snippet of CSS won't fucking render in fucking Internet Explorer fucking 6. For someone like me (and in the web market, there are a lot of people like me), Alpha is breaking ground in a New Kind of Uselessness."
Emphasis and knowing smile mine.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Marcus said...

Unrelated but of interesting note:
http://cwilso.com/2009/05/18/leaving-las-vegas/

Chris Wilson the "Chief Architect" of IE has announced he's packing it in to go work for an "Open Standards" group.

So either he's fed up that IE won't get with the program and adopt open standards or just can't take IE development any more. Either way it is enlightning.

8:39 AM  
Blogger The Hater said...

Definitely interesting (see my comment already there).

Honestly, I think he just got burned out by a fucking demanding, thankless job. He lasted a hell of a lot longer than most other people would have.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Just figured I'd share this cool site. http://robertjames.50webs.com/romse.html

For the handfull of us Windows 9.X users tierd of real old MSIE esploits

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog was the top result I got while laying out this page in frustration.

Maybe Wolfram|Alpha should be replying "yes, it does" ;)

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home