Thursday, December 08, 2005

First Post

In an effort to vent in a healthy manner, I will vent here. Without further ado, the first (well, first posted here, many other reasons have come before this) reason as to why IE sucks ass:

IE doesn't support element.importNode(), part of the DOM Level 2 Core Specification.

I ran into this and now I have to make IE happy by using element.cloneNode(), which for some reason keeps bringing up an unsupported action error on that line.

That reminds me of today's second reason as to why IE sucks: completely useless alerts when it craps out running JavaScript. Half the time it doesn't even get the line number right (how fucking difficult to get the right line number?), and all of the time the message doesn't even say what went wrong. Might as well give me a bsod, it would help just as much...

Piece of crap.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

You can use Microsoft Script Editor which comes included in Office 2003 to find out what line number (and in which file) the error actually occurred. From that vantage, it is possible to find out why IE has "crapped out," which object is null or undefined, etc. I too prefer Mozilla, but apparently, IE has many users and it is possible to write code to work in it.

1:09 PM  
Blogger The Hater said...

I have Microsoft Script Editor installed on the machines I use, but I have two issues with that:

1. They couldn't have made a better debugger? The thing fucking blows. Every other debugger I've used makes it incredibly easy to inspect variables at break points, but this one insists on forcing you to work its way rather than your own. I generally prefer to set breakpoints before executing code again, sometimes in a few different files. Granted, it may have a way to do this, but I don't do the majority of my coding for (and testing in) a browser that doesn't really support JavaScript in the first place.

2. When other people point to errors in their own browsers, I would like it to report a sane line number. Does that really sound so fucking difficult?

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home