Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Microsoft Script Debugger

I fully grant that I lose several points for getting my hopes up on this one.

I've installed the debugger, I hit "open" in the "View -> Script Debugger" menu (since, you know, that makes the most fucking sense...rather than "Tools" or its own fucking "Debug" menu), scripts open, and the goddamn thing freezes on me. To the point where not only do I have to force the piece of shit to exit, but when IE comes back up, it doesn't even have the option to open the debugger any more.

...one reboot later...

Making my way through, and when I break on the next statement, which happens to exist in the form of an event handler, I get a single-line script of the anonymous function. No other files opened, nothing. I need to select "Running Documents" and then navigate down the tree and double-click the file that should come next in evaluation. Basically, I guess they want to get the message across that not only do they not give a shit about the users, they don't give a shit about the developers trying support their worthless spawn of marketing.

And, yes: "spawn of marketing" generates much more vulergatity and insult than anything remotely like calling them "ceo-fucked whores with an affinity for puppy's assholes" could convey.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt C said...

My god in heaven I'm going through the same thing here...

I remember in IE6 if you dared to say "yes, I'd like to debug that script" you would get a window highlight the error, but that was as far as I ever got, since opening that window made Windows panic and IE had to be forced-quit and the debugger did too

Now I use IE7, which does the same stuff. I honestly am considering saying "This site best viewed in real browsers" across the top of the page

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firebug is a wonderful plug for firefox that debugs javascript etc, such a beautiful thing could never work with IE

3:30 PM  
Blogger The Hater said...

emil: However, when I need to debug IE fuck-ups, Firefox-based debuggers (Firebug, Venkman, etc.) do me no fucking good at all.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some script errors are unique to IE and the excellent debugging tools of Firefox cannot be used in those cases.

What bothers me the most is that the IE error messages often refer to a row and column number that don't exist in the source.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Matt C is right...

I'm thinking about header lines advising people...

I'm stuffed with re-programming pages for IE

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home