Thursday, August 06, 2009

IE6 death push makes CNN

Web citizens trying to kill Internet Explorer 6:
'On the surface, the campaign against IE 6 may seem like a cult of disgruntled techies who are angry at Microsoft or want to gripe about people who lag behind the technological curve.

But that analysis is too simplistic, said Dan Oliver, editor of .net, a UK magazine about Web design.

"This isn't an anti-Microsoft campaign," he said. "Microsoft makes some fantastic products. The latest version of their browser is a good browser. But with regards to IE 6 ... [it] is an awful browser and no one should be using it."

He added: "Ultimately, we've kind of waited long enough. That's why there's a big movement of support for it because the geeks out there have known about this for years and have been waiting for big sites to jump on and push it forward."

In a statement to CNN, Microsoft said it also wants people to turn away from IE 6.'
I completely fucking disagree with the "The latest version of their browser is a good browser." statement, but the point that people should use it over IE6 definitely still stands.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IE 8 definitely sucks but IE 8 is what IE6 Update tells people to get. The only bad part about the 'new web' (DHTML, Ajax, etc) is that people who still run crappy old OS's like Windows 98 will be unable to use some of the new sites (Firefox 2 can be installed on 98, but not 3). Windows 2000 users can only get up to IE 6, but can install Firefox 3. Firefox however requires a lot more memory than IE 6. Opera might be a good choice on those OS's with older computers.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IE 6 is the sole reason that I switched to firefox until recently. That shit gave me so much spyware, that I became proficient with antispyware apps just because of that.

On another note Firefox 3.52 sucks balls. I rather use the mediocre IE 8 (not 6 or 7) than use that bloated piece of shit. 3.52 starts up slow and it's phishing is ineffective(can't avoid if you go to .CN sites).

I can't believe I lived to see a Internet Explorer actually beat firefox when it comes to general malware prevention(I tested them both with sandbox apps). It just breaks my heart that my Firefox sucks so bad now.

11:45 AM  
Blogger ale8oneboy said...

As a developer, IE6 really makes it rough. Not long ago I stopped supporting IE. Why waste my time building around it.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a web developer. Coding for compatibility in IE7 is annoying and time consuming, and doing the same for IE6 is twice as bad. When possible, I do not support IE6 (to various degrees) and add a small "please upgrade" note on the site.
My clients get discounts if they agree to drop IE6 support.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I just reinstalled XP and did not upgrade ie6 to 7 or 8 as I hate those versions. ie6 is so much faster and just works for me.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home